You may have just purchased the latest version of QuickBooks Desktop and you’re probably planning on sharing your company file either internally or externally. But how exactly do you start that process?
The first step is to determine how you’ll share to determine the QuickBooks server requirements needed. In most cases, a business may have a dedicated server computer or they can use one workstation as the host. The basic technical QuickBooks Server requirements in this case are:
- Windows – US version of Windows. Regional settings are supported when set to English
- Processor – 2.4 GHz minimum
- Ram – 4GB minimum, 8GB recommended for 1-5 users
- Disk Space – 2.5GB of disk space (additional required for data files)
The most important piece of the QuickBooks server requirements is the QuickBooks Enterprise Database Server Manager. In this article, we’ll deep dive into the QuickBooks Enterprise Database Server Manager and how to install it.
QuickBooks Enterprise Database Server Manager
The QuickBooks Database server manager allows a business to share their company files over their network. The QuickBooks Enterprise Database Server Manager must be running so users can access the company files as well as help you to monitor your network.
If you need to install the QuickBooks Enterprise Database Server Manager, follow these Intuit provided instructions:
- Download QuickBooks Desktop if you haven’t yet. The QuickBooks Enterprise Database Server Manager is part of the download executable.
- Install the QuickBooks Enterprise Database Server Manager on the computer acting as the server or the computer that will host the company file.
- Close all open programs on your server computer, including QuickBooks.
- Open the install file you downloaded. It’s called Setup_QuickBooks.exe.
- Follow the onscreen instructions. If you need to find your product or license numbers, here’s how to find them.
- When QuickBooks asks you to choose an install type, select Custom or Network Options. Then select Next. Don’t select Express.
- Choose the best option for your network setup and then select Next. Both the options install the Database Server Manager. If QuickBooks Desktop is already installed on your server computer, this won’t overwrite any existing company data.
- If you want Database Server Manager and QuickBooks Desktop on your server computer, select I’ll be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer, AND I’ll be storing… We strongly recommend this option.
- If you only want Database Server Manager on your server computer, select I will NOT be using QuickBooks Desktop…
- Follow the rest of the onscreen instructions. When you’re ready, select Install. Windows may ask you for permission.
- Set your firewall and antivirus permissions to ensure the QuickBooks Enterprise Database Manager can run on the server computer. This is also important as QuickBooks uses ports and executables to run certain tasks.
- Ensure the latest QuickBooks Enterprise Database Manager update. This is not a manual update; the QuickBooks Enterprise Database Manager will automatically update whenever you update your QuickBooks Desktop.
- Use the QuickBooks Enterprise Database Manager to scan the folder with your company file.
- Turn on Multi-user Access on the server only. Select Host Multi-User Access and confirm the prompt.
You should now be all set fulfilling the QuickBooks server requirements. You can begin working on your company files from your dedicated QuickBooks server.
Ditch the QuickBooks Server Requirements and Share Your Files with Qbox!
This article is definitely on the technical side and if you were asking yourself if it was written in a different language while reading it, you’re not alone. So, ditch these QuickBooks server requirements! Qbox will share your files with remote users without the need for a server or network. To learn more, visit https://www.qboxplus.com/enterprise/
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin